navbar

Image Map

Friday, April 29, 2011

Apple Pie

  I decided one of the other treats I was going to make for my in-laws would be pie. I was going to make pear pie, but apparently the idea of pear pie to them was ridiculous. So I decided to go with old fashioned apple pie. I was a google maniac trying to find THE BEST apple pie...pretty sure I found it!! It didn't last long! I was in such a rush making other treats that I only had the chance to take one photo, and it doesn't do it justice.
 Also, while we are on t he topic of pies, I have been reading a lot about cupcakes going "out of style" and pies are "in"...what are your thoughts on this??? I for one, do not like being told what is in and out....ESPECIALLY with my food! How does a cupcake go out of style? I mean, really? There aren't many things in this world as cute and fun as a cupcake. I am actually stoked that pies are "in" again..heh, I didn't realize they were "out", but whatever! But pies are old fashioned and delicious, so of course I am happy people will be making them more! I just don't see pies taking over and cupcakes disappearing from Earth..they are nothing alike, so in my opinion, one can't replace the other!

Ok rant over!

I served this pie warm and a la mode!


Ingredients:
- 1 recipe for a 9 inch double crust
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 TBL all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water (minus 1 tsp)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 8 Granny Smith apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla

- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- peel and cut your apples and place on bottom pie crust, form a mound shape
- melt butter in sauce pan, stir in the flour once melted
- add water,sugar(s), cinn, nutmeg,and vanilla
- bring to a boil, then simmer
- pour over apples, save a little for the top of the pie...after pouring on apples, do your lattice work or just    put top pie crust on but work QUICKLY because the mixture crystalizes quickly (hence, my pie..again, this picture does not do this pie JUSTICE, it was AMAZING!)
- bake for about 45 minutes

ENJOY!





3 comments:

  1. I love my cupcakes, but people are doing some pretty interesting things with pie lately. I just saw a recipe for pie pops online. They looked amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh I am going to have to look into this pie pop thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always do "Cup pies" like in the show Pushing Daisies! Best of both worlds...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haVmuz_DjfI

    ReplyDelete