navbar

Image Map

Friday, June 3, 2011

Old Fashion Coconut Cream Pie

 I LOVE COCONUT CREAM PIE. Seriously, I do.
I am a super huge fan of any old fashion cream style pies actually. What makes it even better, is I find that pies are incredibly easy to make. They are (for the most part), way less time consuming than cupcakes, mostly because I get all OCD about decorated my cupcakes.
But anyway, this pie is so so so so so so GOOD. It doesn't even have eggs in it either???? I can't wait to make it again, everyone that tried it was in love :)


(the meringue was higher and more amazing the night before, when I made it. But after being in the fridge over night it flattened a little bit. And yes, there is a slice missing...I couldn't wait)

Ingredients:
- 3 cups divided milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 TBL cornstarch
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut (I like it super coco-nutty, I use closer to 2 cups)
- 3 TBL butter
- 1/2 TBL vanilla extract
- 1/2 TBL coconut extract
- 1, 9 inch baked pie shell
- meringue recipe
- extra coconut for garnish

Notes:
- You can use just 1 TBL of vanilla extract if you do not have coconut.
- I used Wilton's meringue powder...it is hassle free, and chances of messing it up are very slim ;)

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In saucepan combine 2 cups of milk, sugar and salt
- Bring to a boil over medium heat
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup of milk and cornstarch  in a bowl, mix well, then add to saucepan
- Stir mixture occasionally until mixture thickens
- Once thick, add coconut, butter, vanilla extract and coconut extract
- Cook until mixture is thick again
- Pour into pie shell, I like to put it in the fridge while I work on my meringue
- Once meringue is made, pour onto the pie, add coconut
- Bake until coconut is toasted and brown and meringue is light brown around the edges

No comments:

Post a Comment